Home Forums Vloggers Forum Editing Videos

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Ryan Cole Ryan Cole 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jack Fitzpatrick
    Participant

So I started making Youtube videos a little over a month ago and just posted my 8th video the other day! So anyway, I’ve discovered that BY FAR my favorite part of making them is the editing. Its like… really fun. And even kind of therapeutic.

Look, it does take ages and there’s soooooo much more work in it than you’d think, but it’s just kind of really cool slowly putting it all together.

Does anyone else do videos or podcasts or what not and find the editing to be the funnest part? Or is it actually the most stressful part for some and I’m just crazy?

Ryan Cole
      Ryan Cole
      Participant

Hey Jack,

I certainly get what you mean about it being therapeutic. I’m quite impatient and neurotic by nature, but I do enjoy the piece by piece construction of editing. And I found it strangely amazing to discover how long 1 second actually is.

Filming is my least favourite part. I find it frustrating and lonely. It’s one reason why I’d love to do more collaborations

Jack Fitzpatrick
        Participant

Oh you’re so right about the length of even just a second. It’s like a 100M sprint in that way; winning by a second is basically for-fucking-ever in that context haha

Yeah filming is definitely my least favorite part too, might sound dumb but it takes me quite a while to get my confidence up to be able to speak to the camera. And I usually do at least 2 takes of everything!

Ryan Cole
          Ryan Cole
          Participant

I do a shit ton of takes, usually without any real sense of organisation. Just whether or not I felt the previous take worked. The last few videos I’ve done; I’ve shot over an hour of footage for only 7 minutes of review.

Ian Hornbaker
            Ian Hornbaker
            Participant

I also kind of enjoy editing. I agree that it is fun taking the things I say and splicing them together to create coherent statements.

I’ll throw my name into the hat of saying how much of a slog recording is. Everyone has their different process, so it doesn’t work for everyone, but here are my basic steps to make it a little easier:

1) Plan – I write down EVERYTHING. I go off script a lot, but having a script cuts down on my takes since I already know what I want to say and how I’m going to say it. The problem is that if I forget to write something down, there is a pretty good chance that it won’t make it into the final video. Haha.
              2) Short Takes – I always try and say no more than a few words in a take. This way, when I eventually mess us, I only have to say a few words again to fix it. Now that I’m getting more comfortable, I’m actually trying to do longer takes… but its taken me months to get comfortable enough to do this.
              3) Plan the video to be short – This doesn’t work for everyone, since some people like having longer videos. I always plan my videos to be around 3-5 minutes so that it cuts down on my recording time.

In the beginning I would shoot about 8 minutes and keep 1. So a 3 minutes video would take 24-ish minutes to shoot. But after creating a system, I shoot a 3 minute video in about 10-12 minutes. So it doesn’t matter what you thing is, and it may take awhile to find it, but once you do you’ll find the video recording process easier.

Ryan Cole
              Ryan Cole
              Participant

Cool Ian, thanks for the advice.

I’ve only really gotten serious about scripting recently. I worked from notes initially. Though now I’m getting more comfortable with improv too – it’s all kind of schizophrenic, appropriately. But I think you’re right…I’m finding my thing.

I aim to have my videos be no shorter than 4 minutes and no longer than 10; if I’m flying solo. If I’m sharing time with someone (as with The Neon Demon review), then I’m a little more flexible. But generally, I get annoyed if I’m plowing towards the teens.

Originally my intention was to have two types of film review: the VC Reviews would be scripted/performance based, and then there’d be general film reviews (usually new releases) which would be more spontaneous. I figured they’d be easier to do and help constantly refresh things. But I was dissatisfied with every one of them up until Parallel.

Jack Fitzpatrick
                Participant

How long have you guys been doing videos? Because I made literally my first one ever like a month and a half ago with my Suicide Squad review. First ever crack at it

Ryan Cole
                  Ryan Cole
                  Participant

My first film review was 9 months ago – a retrospective of the worst films I watched in 2015. The quality was horrendous.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.