The DC Extended Universe has proven to be a huge financial success, despite performing below expectations. While it does make truck-loads of money, the DCEU has also proven to be a critical failure. I have not seen Man of Steel, but have heard bad things about it. I did see Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and while I did enjoy it, it got worst reviews than Man of Steel. Now, the next film in the series is Suicide Squad, which has gotten almost predominantly negative reviews. Suicide Squad follows famous DC super villains Deadshot (Will Smith), Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney), El Diablo (Jay Hernandez), Killer Croc (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), Enchantress (Cara Delevingne), and Katana (Karen Fukuhara) as they become recruits for a special black-ops mission that will lead to shorter prison sentences. So, is this superhero film better than what critics say?
What I liked about it:
– I kind of liked Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn. I really like her as an actress and she made the character entertaining.
What I didn’t like about it:
– They crammed way too many backstories all in one movie. It made for a very boring start.
– The action scenes were very visual effects-driven, which made them very long and boring.
– None of the characters were developed enough for me to really care about them.
– The Joker was really nothing but a glorified background character who showed up every once in a while.
– The performances were nothing special. I know each of the cast members have done better.
– The plot and pacing of the film were very confusing. I had a really hard time figuring out were the story was going, and when I did, it was extremely predictable.
– The psychedelic imagery felt very confused and useless.
– The humor was ineffective and felt as last minute as the reshoots they came from.
As much as I wanted to say it’s not as bad as critics say, I unfortunately have to agree with them. Suicide Squad is one of the most boring superhero movies I have ever seen. Nothing about it was exciting or interesting. The only thing I liked about it was Harley Quinn, and if she gets her own spin-off movie, I will see it. Other than that, it’s hard to recommend this movie to anyone other than the hardcore superhero fanboys. I’m glad I saw it, but I have no desire to ever see it again.